1. Network Manager applet becomes invisible in the notification area on the panel?
(XFCE panel) Go to panel preferences and edit Notification area, check that icon size =16px as below that the nm-applet icon vanishes! This is only one solution.
terminal: `nm-applet` shows GdkPixbuf problem?
CHECK that the panel size >18px -this is the element I completely forgot to adjust for ages. I had it the smallest size possible.
Adjusting to 18px the applet will reappear.
2. Alsa sound is always muted (speakers) on start-up and needs unmuting in mixer
set the mixer volume in your profile..
add these lines before "exit 0"
==========Did not solve the issue!
try this (ubuntuforums.org...
set the speaker and master volume how you'd like it to be at start-up, then
and to get the stored values used with every boot, add tis line to the file /etc/rc.local, above "exit 0",
3. Forgot the root password! duh!
the easiest way to rectify this situation is to boot and get the grub menu up (press escape or Shift if its not set to show up), then
- highlight your Linux entry andpress e
- on the line with your Linux kernel version, add the word single
- boot from there -might be F10
- you boot into a root command line
- type passwd and Enter
- enter your new password
- finally reboot
4. Forgot the User password
su to root then
enter new password twice to reset it
5. No read/write access to a Linux partition (ext3/ext4)
and fstab already has UUID= <mount> <type> defaults [or users,exec] 0 2
(/media/D1 is where the partition is mounted)
6. No permissions on an NTFS partition for new user
find the user's uid and gid with:
changing the uid is quite a task (see www.ibm.com..
so we can just edit fstab where on the NTFS partiton line we might have uid=1000, so we alter this uid to our user's uid.
or we change it to "users".
7. K3b can't detect the executables cdrecord, cdrdao and growisofs of the new user
cdrecord is done by wodim, so give it permissiond of user with
same for /usr/bin/cdrdao and /usr/bin/growisofs
8. CUPS returns "Request entity too large" error when entering an admin page (add printer etc)
See my Printers page
9. Sound Juicer can't read a CD
An error message pops up saying: "Sound Juicer could not read the track listing on this CD.The specified location is not supported."
I solved this by running:
10. A KDE app reports that Trash is full when trying to delete a file (and Trash is not full)
edit the line "Size=nnnnnnnnnnnnn"
11. gksu saves root password to keyring
I just found this happening recently. When I launch any app using gksu it pops up without need for root password and a notice also pops up, Granted permissions without asking for password.
I'm not sure if it's since I added "gksu" launched apps onto the Openbox menu or not. To eradicate this insecure behaviour, I edit the file~/.gconf/apps/gksu/%gconf.xml
so that it reads
then restart the session (logout/login)
12. File system is inaccessible with error: Transport endpoint is not connected.
This error can come up for lots of reasons... a disk partition becomes inaccessible while an app is reading/writing to it. In my case it seems to be ntfs-3g dropping the fs. I found how to remedy it (but not fix it for good) with umount and mount operations. The mount point had disappeared too (likely the hhd sata connection was loose?)
check partitions with `lsblk`, then
Apparently it was something to do with package fuse. Hopefully this will be updated. Otherwise download latest here http://sourceforge.net/...
13. Can't use checkinstall - "/bin/mkdir: cannot create directory"
search Trans and edit the line to read:
14. Apt list gets locked - exiting terminal while apt was running!
remove the lock file
then retry apt
15. Tumblerd process eats up the system memory as it creates and holds thumbnail data as video is encoded
stop video thumbnailing by renaming the video thumbnailer module in /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/ like so:
that's just a work-around -no more video thumbnails with that remedy though. (tumbler has been fixed)
16. Error using make - Package libconfig was not found in the pkg-config search path.
if this returns empty or something other than /usr/lib/pkgconfig, then it may have been reset earlier on.
set it to default with
might need to install libconfig
17. Error "unprivileged user cannot mount ntfs block devices"
can't mount an inserted USB drive and get above error message... there's bound to be a /dev/sdb1 entry in your /etc/fstab file
have a look and if it's there remove that line and save the file, and that's all it is.
18. Gnome mplayer can't start
error: "gnome-mplayer: error while loading shared libraries: /usr/lib/libgda-5.0.so.4: unexpected PLT reloc type 0x00"